Two units of the National Service Scheme (50&167)are functioning on our campus under two Faculty Program Officers acquainting the students with voluntary social service through participatory manual work the teachers themselves giving the lead and guidance. With "Not Me, But You", as its motto, NSS expresses the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of another man's point of view and also promotes consideration for fellow human beings. NSS strives to teach the students that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society as a whole. Therefore seeks to demonstrate this aim in its day-to-day activities.
The programs of the units on our campus mainly concerns personality development through social service or community service, especially in villages, where the real India lives. This exercise inculcates in them social welfare thoughts without any prejudice and in doing so the volunteers themselves learn a lot from the people in villages on how to struggle and how to lead a happy life in the extreme scarcity of resources and so on. Camps are conducted annually in rural locations for this purpose. There are no pre-defined or pre-assigned tasks. It is the volunteers' imagination to provide the service to the society in all feasible ways. The special camps of seven days and Mini Camps of 3 days are conducted for the betterment of the students. The major projects undertaken by our units are adoption of Village, cleaning of public places, construction and repair of roads and water sources, afforestation, literacy classes, watershed projects, plastic eradication, health camps, home for the homeless, debates, seminars and campaigns against social evils etc. The N.S.S. units of the college have successfully impressed the outside world with their dedicated and sincere efforts.
Bagging the university and state awards for last three consecutive years, NSS has brought laurels to our college. The multiple activities which fetch recognitions are-
1.URVARA- which means fertile, helps the volunteers to keep their mind and body afresh with working in the land ,making it productive. It is a project of organic farming including paddy cultivation in association with KrishiBhavan, Irinjalakuda, to make the students interested in agriculture and to promote an aptitude among them for the same.
2.ITHIRIVETTAM - It is the monthly activity of NSS Units in the years 2015-16 &2016-17. This project aims at adopting Mukundapuram L.P School to provide necessary financial economic aids for the students in the beginning of the academic year NSS Volunteers by bags, notebooks, and other study materials for the students.
3.SNEHASPARSHAM- Volunteers visit Shanthisadan ,PratheekshaBhavan and Providence Home regularly providing support for them.
4.SNEHAPADHEYAM – It is our daily project to provide lunch for the deserved people. This project is initiated in the academic year 2015-16. – This project which means a ‘touch with affection’ is envisaged to spend a value time with the elderly who are abandoned by their family . In our locality we have found six members in the town who need lunch every day. We provide Snehapadheyam (lunch with love) to those people from Monday to Friday in every week.
5. SAVE ENERGY CAMPAIGN It is a small attempt to remind each and every one the need of conserving energy. It is a campaign to create awareness among students ,teachers, and villages about irrevocable energy we use luxuriously.
6. NANMA KAINEETAM- providing onam kits consisting of Avval (rice flakes), vegetables and coconut to the inmates of the colony and also provide them ‘thorthumundu’(bathing towel)
7.NIRAVU- As part of NSS seven Days camp, Volunteers jointly initiated a programme called ‘Niravu’ .This project which means a ‘touch with affection’ is envisaged to spend a value time with the elderly who are abandoned by their family.
8. JALAM JEEVMARUTHAM: it is a project to protect the water resources in our locality. Blue Army is formed in association with NCC to enhance water facilities.
9.SNEHATHANAL-ABHAYAM PROJCET 2015-2018- NSS Units of St. Joseph’s College, Irinjalakuda constructed 4 houses and helped one beneficiary for the electrification of his house. Two houses are in the adopted village and the other two are in PoomangalampanchayathThe fund is raised by the volunteers through MmdeThattukada, a food café conducted by the volunteers, and through the coupons.
10. MEDICAL CAMP WITH ASTER MEDCITY- the Camp was initiated with the help of lala language Foundation, Ernakulam. There are 6 doctors from various departments like gynecology, ortho, pediatrician, eye specialists were there. 97 patients from outside the campus came for attending the camp. Doctors gave orientation classes for health and hygiene and heart diseases.
11. EASY ENGLISH- it was a project initiated in the adopted village to teach English through simple games and class. This was done in the Govt. LPS Kodaly as part of Maithri Special Camp. The students were able to express themselves in simple words during the last days of this project.
Update your browser to view this website correctly.